I simply loooove summer time baking, and having a little more time to do so. I came across this recipe in Romantic Homes and had to share. They made great teacher gifts. I wrapped them in parchment tied with lavender ribbon. The dough is to die for! Enjoy!
Lavender Lemon Rolled Shortbread
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Zest from one lemon
coarse sugar for garnish
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream butter until soft. Add 1/4 cup sugar and blend
3. In separate bowl mix the flour, cornstarch and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and blend.
4. Use a mortar and pestle to crush the lavender, sprinkle it over the lemon zest and juice, and then mix until the dough starts coming together.
5. Dust the counter with flour and turn the dough onto it. Gently press the dough together until it becomes pliant and workable.
6. Place a silicone baking mat on a clean surface. Use a rolling pin to roll dough into a slightly less than 1/4″ thick 8″ x 10″ rectangle. Cut into squares (I used a cookie cutter)
7. Lift the dough and mat onto a cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until dough is golden and very lightly browned. Sprinke with additional sugar.